Monday, February 20, 2012

CV help - I am a failure!?

Hi, firstly... I am 18, I have only ever had one job, I did quite well in school (C's and B's, a few D's), and in College I was in an ICT Technician course, achieving Passes and Merits (C and B equivalent)



However, due to an Online Gaming addiction to World of Warcraft, I had a lot of days off, and in the end had to quit my college course as I was way too behind in work and was going to fail. This was 2 years into the course.



I have, however got a Key Skills level 2 qualification...



Also, my first and only job: I quit without notice (I was 16 then).



My mum is struggling financially, I have to get a job, simple. I will take anything now, but I applied to a job position at Subway...



In the application though it asks for References... I cannot put my old boss (Quit rememember?) and I cannot put my College Tutor (from my inactivness and skipping), who can I put...



Also when applying for a job, is it ok to put a letter? A simple letter saying how much you want the job?CV help - I am a failure!?
I wouldn't include a letter - most application forms have an 'any additional information' box - say why you are suitable - what skills you have (not qualifications) - good with numbers/figures, honest, hard working, enthusiatic etc.



Does your mum have any friends with a decent job who could give you a personal reference? What about old teachers or headteacher?

Maybe you could get a pub job or something similar for a while, to get yourself a reference - make sure you are reliable etc though.

Good luckCV help - I am a failure!?
become a muslim
could you get a family friend for references? someone who will know you well

good luck!CV help - I am a failure!?
ur grades aint too bad. i dont see the problem in writing a letter as long as it dont look like you are desperate. thats unprofessional. you dont really have to put refrences if you dont have them (refrences are rarely checked btw) but in your cv or letter it is a good idea to point out that you are quite a focused person in the tasks you are given. i think most times with these kinds of jobs you are looking for they actually get u in for an interview as it can be more beneficial to see how a person reacts face to face. basically dont put yourself down in any communication and always present tourself confidently. good luck with your hunting!
You could always ask your doctor to be a referee as well, and I wish you the best of luck for the future, you are on the right track now.CV help - I am a failure!?
Tell a pack of lies.



If you ain't gonna get the job because the truth is to dreadful, WTF have you got to lose?



Tell 'em somebody you know is a self-employed master carpenter or something and you worked with him, then get him to send back the most shiny, fluffy reference ever, in the hostory of the whole, entire universe.



The working world is all a crock of s**t anyway, and all the honest ever get for their troubles is a place the end of the bread queue after getting a place at the front of the redundancy queue.
My oh my!

What has the world come to?

You're 18 and you already think of yourself as a failure?

You think CV s influence job interviews more than character?

In my days, we left out the failure parts and built up the positive side of ourselves ... it wasn't lying, just soft sell.

If we had a minor conviction record for a first offense, we'd leave it out. In those days, after 5 years the record of it was deleted anyway, and no-one ever checked.

I hate what the world has come to.

You're only 18, and are scared enough of the Greater System so as to ask for help here.

First, make a new CV. Don't lie, but exaggerate the positive things.

Ask someone to help you write a really good application letter.

When you get to the interview, shut down. Think of yourself as an actor in a movie - focus on the most charming character you relate to.

Be polite, be calm. Answer normal questions honestly. If they ask a question you weren't prepared for, something tricky, don't rush to answer. Just keep cool. If you can answer it well, then do. If you can't think of anything good to say, tell them so.

These people play mind games like you don't know what these days. Power goes to their heads.

The lower they are on the professional scale, the worse they are at playing with your insecurities.

You might be better off applying for any job, with a small local firm.

Any special skills or talents? Like, do you love watching films? If so, you would be good helping people choose a good DVD to rent.

Anyway, you are worth too much to let the Powers That Now Be put you down any longer!

Get some confidence!

Take stock of the things you love - you could get some job on a nature reserve if you dug in deeper.

I feel so bad for you, and I wish you luck.

As for references, tell them the truth, but provide a few from some people who know you; your GP or an Uncle ...
It is tough and yeah I feel sorry for you. I can't believe you think you are a failure at 18 though. That is just nonsense. I have also quit all my jobs, some in worse circumstances than others. I am 21 and I have been on the dole six months! I got rejected by subway, morrisons and Tesco! Despite this I have got 9 good GCSE's at A*- C, 4 A-levels and a 2.1 in journalism from Lancaster University. Your not a failure, just unlucky, just show enthusiasm and if you get that job at subway you will be one up on me!
I think the more you worry about this the more it will show up on the application with mistakes and babbling answers. Don't worry about how much you want the job, and references, just be enthusiastic about how friendly you will be with the customers how much you love helping people out, how hard you'll work and how much you really want the job, think positive and it'll come.
  • disneymovieclub
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment