Friday, February 3, 2012

I just got a job, but I don't think I can commit to all of the hours that I put in the application.?

I'm a high school student, and I put down that I could work at this place (subway) for four hours everyday Monday-Friday. My parents say that I should only work two hours a day for only three days max. I am told to come in Thursday. Do you think my new boss/manager will be flexible on the hours?I just got a job, but I don't think I can commit to all of the hours that I put in the application.?
No, They would not have hired you for 2 hours a day. That is nothing! You should be honest with them asap. I am sure you could do 3-4 days 4 hours.I just got a job, but I don't think I can commit to all of the hours that I put in the application.?
Do you think my new boss/manager will be flexible on the hours? - YES

food service works for minors because of flexible scheduling.

let the manager know immediately so there are no misunderstandings.

no manager wants an employee who puts a part-time job before their education.
work thursday and tell him what your parents want you to do...he should understand that you really dont have a choice esp. if you dont do as your parents want then you prob ccant keep the job. but in the restaurant industry it really doesnt pay for you to come in for 2 hrs a day..that prob wont work. why dont you make an agreement to work 4hrs day...2x during the school week and maybe some hours on the weekend! see if your boss will do that for ya...good luck..I just got a job, but I don't think I can commit to all of the hours that I put in the application.?
This is good experience for you. You will deal with these types of issues in future work experiences, dealing with work hours and other issues.

The first thing is when you have this type of conflict deal with it as soon as possible, be direct and offer a solution, not just a problem.

How you deal with this is to directly say....I need to speak with you for 3 minutes. Tell him your parents do not want you to work so many hours. Say you are sorry to have to change your original commitment.

Can you work 3 hours on two days M-Th, 4 hours on Friday should be OK, since no school and Saturday. Then 4-5 hours on Saturday or Sunday? That is 15 hours a week.

Put this proposal to your parents. Keep it short and sweet.



Note that you may have to work the current schedule for the next week or two as the manager can not just make adjustments on a one day notice. That is not fair to the mgr as he will have to hire another part time person of re-arrange the schedule of current employees. So try to work out the existing schedule.

Tell your parents you be OK, not watch TV and make sure to get ahead of studies and assignments on the weekend.

Good luck on the new job.

a%26gt;
since you are a student, your supervisor should allow more flexibilty with your schedule, especially since you're only a part-timer. try getting more weekend hours just to be fair to your new boss and so you can still make some money. good luck on your new job!I just got a job, but I don't think I can commit to all of the hours that I put in the application.?
Technically, this is not a contract because you are under age and this is not a necessity; still, they treated you like an adult and accepted your offer in good faith. Now your parents want you to go back and request a 2/3 concession? This is the reason so many minors come here asking why they can't get hired.



The company made a decision to hire based on what you told them and your parents should be the first to realize the importance of keeping your word. Just because Subway is not in the Dow Jones index doesn't mean they deserve any less consideration.



Go now and tell them you had unexpected developments and you would like to work "on call" after any scheduled shifts are completed. By filling in, as needed, your hourly commitment will be reduced, but your role will increase significantly. Check with your parents to ensure last minute transportation will always be available.



This is not a life changing opportunity, but it could be a character changing one. Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment