Monday, February 13, 2012

Can't get a job because of ex-boss!?

I used to work at a cafe, for almost half a year. As the months went on, I couldn't get any hours. My boss would call me a half hour before my shift, telling me that business was too slow for me to come in. This happened over and over and over again. Whenever I called her, she didn't answer. I'd leave a message specifically requesting that she call me back, and she never would. One day my coworker was talking with her on the phone. She mentioned that I wanted to discuss shift hours with her, and I guess my boss didn't want to and she hung up. I called her back. I was very nice and polite on the phone, but the minute she heard "Hello, this is Bella", the replied really nastily "WHAT, Bella?!" and started yelling at me how I am a "last thought" at this business. I politely asked that she give me 24 hours notice if she doesn't want me to come in, she yelled at me that she "couldn't do that". I then told her, as respectfully as I possibly could, that I felt it was a little unprofessional that she would not return any of my calls when I specifically requested that she does. I did not say SHE was unprofessional, nor was her business; I simply said that I felt the fact I couldn't get my call returned ONCE was a little unprofessional. She started SCREAMING at me, demeaning me and verbally attacked me, and then accused me of overpaying myself. The hourly wage was 8.33 an hour. At the end of my usual 3 hour shift I'd take home $25 (like, really. 8.33 X 3 = 24.99). I explained this, but she told me because I was 16 (at the time), I get minimum wage. I'm pretty sure paying someone minimum wage because she's 16 but paying everyone else much more is illegal. Then she told me I was fired and "forbade" me to ever enter the cafe again. When I got home my parents saw how angry I looked, so I told them everything, word by word, no bias, exactly what happened. My dad called her, and she told him that I had DEMANDED her to give me notice, yelled at her, was being a rude brat, overpaying myself, etc. She also started playing the victim card because she was sick and started ranting how her life was so bad and she "couldn't handle this". Never apologized.



Almost all job applications ask about previous work experience and info about my employer, often a "May we contact this person?" question. If I check yes, they call her and I'm pretty sure she tells them about how much of a horrible, disrespectful, thieving brat I am. If I say they can't contact her, it looks suspicious. Either way, after multiple job applications, I've never been called back. Since the economy is bad, it's not easy to find a job. But I'm fully convinced that she's bad-mouthed me for at least a few of those applications, and otherwise I may have been turned down because I checked "no" for contacting her. If I leave the work experience blank, I'm not gonna get hired anyway, because everyone wants an employee with work experience. I'm filling out a Subway application right now, and I really need a job. I don't know what to do, help!!Can't get a job because of ex-boss!?
Keep applying for jobs and if you had other jobs besides that one put their information because her also if there is another manger or co-worker you can put instead of your boss do so because she might be the reason you haven't gotten a call back

No comments:

Post a Comment