Monday, February 6, 2012

Please review my statement for Madison application?

1. The University of Wisconsin values an educational environment that provides all members of the campus community with opportunities to grow and develop intellectually, personally, culturally, and socially. In order to give us a more complete picture of you as an individual, please tell us about the particular life experiences, perspectives, talents, commitments and/or interests you will bring to our campus. In other words, how will your presence enrich our community?

In a world of nearly seven billion people, it would seem as if one person could never make a difference. This statement is far from the truth. Looking back through history, anyone could find proof of a single person making an impact. If one person can make a difference in the world, then I know I can make a difference in the University of Wisconsin community.

When it comes to culture and diversity, I have grown in knowledge. There is so much diversity and different cultures around us without us even realizing it. Even as something as small as a customer coming into Subway and saying, “I suppose you call it ‘pop’ here. In Texas, we call it coke.” The importance of culture really hit me when I went to Europe in the summer of 2010 for an Ambassadors of Music program. In just twelve days, we explored seven countries, watching as the differences in each country were laid out in front of us. Witnessing all of the variations in clothes, cars, language, food, eating habits, manners, and a whole lot more, goes to show how it is important to have differences to make a country, or even a campus, significant.

In order to make an impact on the campus, I know that I must be myself. If the cultures in Europe all became the same, would there be diversity anymore? In being myself, I am confident that I will enrich the campus community. I will bring my understanding of diversity, my drive to be any intellectual individual, my commitment and loyalty to my friends, and my respect to all.

My drive to learn more has been part of me ever since elementary school. I never required a push from my friends or my teachers. In a very personal way, learning is important to me. Gaining new knowledge means a well established future. That’s what learning is, really, a way to ensure that in the future, we’ll still be moving forward. I was never one to sign up for simple classes like gym. I took classes that I thought would have an impact on my future learning and career. I hope to bring this drive to the community.

An essential value in my life is my integrity to my friends and to any new individuals I meet. I am not someone to be called on for creating a false image. I know a large part of college is meeting new people, and I have full intent to be the one and only me. Despite any differences between myself and others that are present, I will respect beliefs, values, interests, and culture, in hopes that I will be treated to same. I am fully aware that not everyone may get along perfectly, but for me, there will always be respect given.

If I am accepted into the University of Wisconsin, I am confident that I will be a positive contribution to the campus. I look forward to supplementing the community with an awareness of diversity, a drive to learn, and my values of respect.Please review my statement for Madison application?
It's great! Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment